Did any of you grow up eating those orange flavored chocolates shaped like an orange that you had to whack on a counter top so they’d split into segments? They were definitely a childhood favorite, yet somewhere along the way I must have forgotten about them. Luckily for me, this cake tastes just like it! Every bite brings me back to attempting the perfect whack to get the chocolate to fall apart just so.
This cake version of the candy bar is much better for you. Made with almond flour instead of wheat flour, it’s gluten free and grain free, sweetened with brown rice syrup and a whole orange, with no butter or dairy in sight. The longest part of the process is boiling the orange. Yes, you boil a whole orange in water until it’s soft enough to cut through. For my smallish/medium sized orange, that took about 35 minutes.
The results are a rich, chocolately, soft yet slightly dense cake. The almond flour makes the cake surprisingly filling that I don’t need more than one slice to feel satisfied. One more serving and it puts me over the edge (ask me how I know). It is seriously so good that I am always so tempted to go in for another piece. I don’t believe in labeling desserts “guilt free” because those types of feelings shouldn’t be associated with food, but I don’t feel the slightest bit bad for indulging in something made with such wholesome ingredients.
I garnished my cake with a pouring of chocolate ganache and maldon flaked salt, but a dusting of cocoa powder would also be beautiful and delicious!
- 1 medium orange
- 2 tbsp oil (such as coconut, walnut, avocado, sunflower)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp brown rice syrup
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- Boil orange in water until soft, about 35-45 minutes, depending on size. Remove from water and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 325° F and grease 6" round cake pan.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree entire boiled orange until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue to blend until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan, then remove and garnish with cocoa powder or ganache.